Employment With Swan Mountain Outfitters
Would you like to meet new people? Work with horses? Wake up everyday in one of the most awe-inspiring settings in the USA? If so, keep exploring our variety of exciting employment opportunities. We have openings for the following positions: trail ride wranglers, corral managers, packers, cooks, retail/barista help, and receptionists/office staff. We are looking for honest, hardworking, friendly individuals to join our team each summer. Enjoy a memorable, educational, and fun summer working with the Swan Mountain Outfitters – Glacier Division Crew!
- For detailed information about each available position click here
- To fill out an application click here
This application portal also serves our Swan Valley and Salmon Forks divisions. Work is similar but may be in a backcountry location and include positions for llama trekking guides, fishing guides, hunting guides, camp jacks, and backcountry cooks. Some of these positions may start much later in the spring or extend much farther into the fall than in our Glacier Division. If you are interested in these divisions as well, please make note in your application.
- Employees must be 18 years old and able to pass a background check
- Our seasonal positions can sometimes accommodate late arrivals or early departures, but preference will be given for applicants who can commit to the full season (at a maximum, May 1st to October 15th).
- Applicants should be aware that most jobs are physically demanding and require heavy lifting, bending, standing and kneeling for multiple hours a day, five days a week
- Corral manager, packer, and trail ride wrangler applicants must be comfortable around and knowledgeable about horses
- Corral manager, packer and trail ride wrangler applicants must have valid CPR and Wilderness First Aid certifications
- If you plan to take advantage of employee housing, a personal vehicle is still highly encouraged as most of our locations may be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours away from amenities and places of interest. In the event that you do not have a vehicle, SMO can provide transportation to the Kalispell bus station, the Kalispell Airport (airport code FCA), or the Whitefish and West Glacier train stations
- The cost of round trip transportation to Northwest Montana is the responsibility of the employee, and should be considered before applying
- Corral manager, packer, cook, and trail ride wrangler positions are salaried and include room and board. Office or store positions are hourly, room and board may be available upon request. Pay is received via direct deposit every two weeks.
- Room and board information:
- Seasonal employees of the three Park corrals (Apgar, Lake McDonald and Many Glacier) are housed in ranch-style bunkhouses with indoor bathrooms, located within Glacier National Park. West Glacier employees are housed in “Wrangler Village” which is a traditional canvas wall tent camp with latrine. Employees will share a room or tent with fellow employees; we do our best to avoid coed quarters.
- Ingredients for all meals are provided, but employees are responsible for the preparation/clean up duties. All employees will participate in a rotational cook schedule where they will be required to cook and clean for the crew approximately once per week
- Corral staff will likely receive additional income in the form of tips from clients. Retail/baristas also may earn tips.
Swan Mountain Outfitters – Glacier Division is an equal opportunity employer.
Prepare for Employment: Guide School or Wrangler School
Interested in some of the positions we offer, but lack experience with horses? Do you just need to brush up on your horsemanship skills? Or, are you thinking about working with horses as part of your full time career? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you need to check out our Swan Mountain Wilderness Guide School.
Ready to Apply?
Be sure to read more about each open position here, then head to the application here. This application portal also serves our Swan Valley and Salmon Forks divisions. Work is similar but may be in a backcountry location and include more need for llama trekking guides, fishing guides, hunting guides, camp jacks, and backcountry cooks. If you are interested in these divisions as well, please make note in your application.
** HEADER PHOTO BY TRAPPER BADOVINAC